Thursday, October 2, 2014

BlogSpot #5


In my whole schooling experience I have never really been taught or been told anything about homophobia's or heterosexism. I am glad that I was never taught about either topic. It is a topic where we need to find out about it and create our own views. As a child we are told to be nice to everyone, so naturally we are. I have friends who like the same sex I personally do not care. I knew the person before they told me. My view on the person did not change I still was friends with the person. He asked me one day " How come you never acted different once I told you I was gay?" I responded without hesitating saying " Why does it matter? If you were gay or straight you have always been a good friend to me, so nothing is going to change." I felt a little offended when he asked for the sole reason that he thought I would change my view on him. Honestly if someone likes someone let them be it is their business. Basically I learned everything about both topics by myself. I reacted fine the reason is I stuck with what I was taught as a child and that is to treat everyone with respect.
Some topics that Rofes talked about are how boys have to fit the tough style. That a boy who wants to play with dolls, necklaces, and other girly stuff will be picked on. I believe that is ridiculous. Each human is different and can do whatever they want to make them happy. We should not have labels for our children n let them do what makes them happy. When Rofes talks about understanding childhood he refers to being born gay and saying he was not born gay it was the house he grew up in. I personally believe you are born gay just as I was born straight. Understanding that nothing is wrong with how you were born. We need to let our child do what they want for fun, not judging them making them do stuff they do not enjoy.
I believe school should be a place where the children feel safe and can be themselves. I hope that when I am teaching I can help those who feel scared about telling people the truth and let them know I am in their corner. My vision is that people who are brave enough to tell others they are gay will not be tormented for their actions but treated equally.

No comments:

Post a Comment